The City of Belmont welcomes you to its business community. Starting a business can be an exciting and challenging time. We wish you great success in your new venture!

The City of Belmont requires a business license for all businesses. A business license is required regardless of the trade, profession or occupation and regardless of whether the main business address is located within the City, temporary, or permanent.

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a new business license or renew your current license is using the online filing service. To begin, simply click on the "start now" button located on the right of this page. From the main menu please select the "apply" option to submit a new application for your business. Alternatively, you may download a copy of the business license application directly from the helpful forms section of this website.

If you need further assistance or help applying for a business license, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (650) 453-0400. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) returns for hotels, motels, and short-term rentals can be submitted online and by phone to simplify your monthly reporting. Please be aware that voters passed Measure KK in November 2018, increasing the TOT rate for transient guests in the City from 10% to 12%, effective December 21, 2018. All lodging providers should increase the TOT rate charged guests to 12% as of December 21, 2018. To submit your TOT online please click the "Start Now" button found on the right and select the "Renew" option to begin your monthly filing process.

If you need further assistance, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (650) 443-9096. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What is a Business License?

A business license is an annual business tax for doing business within the City limits. The City of Belmont Municipal Code (Chapter 12, Section 12-1) requires that you obtain a license when you conduct any business activity within the City, even if your business is located outside of the City limits or if you have a business license from another City or County.

Business license taxes and fees help pay for City services like roads, fire, police and other community services. These services benefit businesses, business owners, and the general public. Business licenses are renewed annually.

Are there any special requirements on where I can locate my business?

Yes, businesses operating from a location inside the City of Belmont will require a review from the Zoning Division, and depending on the type of business, may need to obtain an approval from other departments in the city.

Commercial/Industrial Businesses: A City business license and zoning clearance with the City’s Permit Center staff are required for commercial/industrial businesses located in Belmont. Fees for the business license vary by the type of business and/or anticipated gross receipts. If your business is not home-based, you must also contact the Belmont Fire Department at (650) 522-7940 to request a business license inspection and sign off.

Home-Based Businesses: A business license application and a home occupation affidavit is required for businesses which operate out of a residential property. The city’s Zoning Division reviews and approves the Home Occupation Affidavit submitted by applicants. Home-based businesses typically involve home offices only, such as for phone calls, paper work, emails, filing and mailing. In addition, only members of the residence can participate in the operation of the home-based business.

Massage Establishments, Massage Technicians, and Solicitors Permits: Please contact the Police department at (650) 595-7400.

Mobile Food Truck Vendors: A completed participation form must accompany all business license applications for those participating in the Off the Grid Market events.

City of Belmont
C/O HdL Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212 • Fresno, CA 93720